Website in association with Angel IT Solutions




All the old reports for October are shown below. See News Index for other months

5 Oct 2008 - League Cup - It's an Angel Fall for Millhouses

The big shock in Round 2 of the League Cup saw Division One Woodhouse Angel put out CBC Premier Millhouses Abacrombie, while there were wins for Ecclesfield 147, Niagara, Pitsmoor Royal Oak, Southey Social and Hemsworth Villa. Division Two Ranch were leading Division One Hollin Bush, but the tie was abandoned after Ranch player Breon Foggarty suffered a broken leg. The remainder of the Round 2 ties were postponed after the overnight rain, but Bulls Head's delayed Round 1 tie at Oughtibridge Village went ahead and it was Bulls Head that went through after a penalty shoot-out.

Woodhouse Angel immediately took the game to their CBC Premier opponents and midway through the first half their pressure paid off when Gareth Simons slammed home a terrific free kick to give them the lead and although it didn't last too long as Millhouses hit back to level through Danny Stewart, Angel went in the break in front after Lee Marshall beat the offside trap to race onto Ryan McGuiness's through ball before beating the keeper. Millhouses levelled for a second time after the break with a Danny Turner penalty and they had several good chances to win the game, but they paid the price for not taking them when a corner led to a goalmouth scramble and Spencer Starkes poked home Angel's winner.

The battle of the winners of the last two season's saw four goals from Craig Senior (pictured left) help Ecclesfield 147 beat holders Handsworth WMC 6-3. Handsworth had two early chances but Robert Pratt and Kieran Gallagher put them wide and in Ecclesfield's first attack, good work by Jayson Reeves saw them beat the offside trap and Craig Senior hit his first. A second soon followed when Jamie King felled Gavin Hunter in the area and Senior slammed home his second from the spot, but a minute later Handsworth were back in it in remarkable fashion as keeper Liam Richardson's long kick from his hands took one bounce before flying over the 147 keeper into the net.

Soon after half time, Richardson turned from hero to villain when he punched Ryan Keeney's cross into his own net for 147's third. Handsworth hit back again when David Turner fed Gallagher and his cross was met by Matt Hodgett's diving header, but that was as good as it got for the holders as Senior restored 147's two goal advantage after being set up by Reeves. Hunter made it five when he followed up after Senior's shot had been parried and although Gallagher pulled another back from the penalty spot after he had been brought down, Senior had the final say when he curled one home from the edge of the box.

After an explosive start, another former winner to go through in another all-CBC Premier clash was Hemsworth Villa as they beat Redmires 4-0. Almost from the kick-off, Ian Holmes got to the byline and when his cross was fumbled by the keeper, Nick Owen nipped in to score. The game was hardly a minute old when a poor clearance fell to David Tollerfield and he produced a great strike to make it two. Redmires did their best to get back into the game and their slick passing game had the Villa defence under pressure for long periods after that, but the Villa defence, with Stefan Harris outstanding at the heart of it, worked hard to keep their visitors out. Villa still looked very dangerous on the break and after playing a great one-two with Owen, Tollerfield grabbed his second to as good as make the tie safe, but just to make sure Ian Holmes glanced home Owen's cross near the end.

Another all-CBC Premier tie saw Pitsmoor Royal Oak produce their best form of the season to beat Blue Ball 3-0. Ball started brightly and had the lion's share of the early possession, but the Oak defence held firm and Oak took the lead when Scott Marcus chipped his first of the season from twenty five yards. Ball hit back strongly, but with new keeper Paul Marrison and new full back Nicholas Tummon looking solid, Oak again held firm and after half time Scott Szpajer chested down before swivelling and doubling Oak's lead. A sweeping move then saw Chris 'Speedy' Clow cross for Leon Stocks to wrap the game up with a header.

A fourth CBC Premier side to progress is Niagara after they beat Division One side Handsworth Old Boys 3-1. Carl Baldock gave Niagara the lead only for them to be pegged back by a Mark Jones strike, but the hosts had too much fire power for their visitors and two Simon Staniforth (pictured right) strikes saw Niagara through.

Southey Social are a second Division One side to go through after they recovered from a two goal deficit at half time to beat Division Two side Crookes & District 5-3. Johnny Mellor's pace helped him give Crookes an early lead and ten minutes later they doubled it when Luke Sanderson's height proved too much for the home defence. Those two along with the skill of Ainsley Crawley were a constant thorn in Southey's foot, but a turning point came just before the break when Sanderson had to give way to an injury. Southey also made some changes at the interval and they paid dividends straight away when Nicky Danks and Chris Roberts brought Southey level. A quick James Todd free kick then put Southey ahead and although Crawley levelled from the spot after Chris Cottyn had been brought down in the area, further goals from Danks and Roberts saw Southey home.

Division Two side Ranch looked to be on their way to a giantkilling against Division One Hollin Bush when Oliver Whittaker and Jordan Stead gave them a two goal lead by half time. Nick Moorhouse pulled one back for Bush but the game was brought to an abrupt halt when Ranch's Breon Foggarty suffered a double break to his leg and the game was abandoned.

The remaining all-Division Two Round One tie between Oughtibridge Village and Bulls Head produced a real thriller before Bulls Head went through after a penalty shoot out. Nick Ash (pictured left) and Mark Bryant gave Bull a two goal lead, but just before half time Mick Smith pulled one back and he took the game into extra time with his second. It then looked to be going Oughtibridge's way in extra time when two Stewart Kennedy goals put them 4-2 in front but Ash pulled one back from the penalty spot after he had been brought down in the area and he completed his hat-trick to take it to penalties. Both sides scored confident penalties but eventually a brilliant save by Neil Gasgoine won it for Bulls Head.

The ties postponed because of the heavy overnight rain will be re-arranged for a later date, so clubs should continue with their current programme unless notified otherwise.

Division 2 - Colley's perfect record left in Ashers

A Matt Asher treble and a Nathan Hanson goal saw Anvil end Colley's perfect record and boost their own promotion bid. Asher's pace proved much too much for the Colley back four and he grabbed his treble in the first fifteen minutes. Colley tried to respond and after Neil Whitworth had been foiled by the Anvil keeper, they did pull one back when Mark Searle flicked Ritchie Whitworth's cross into the far corner, but just before half time Nathan Hanson grabbed a fourth for Anvil. The second half saw some half chances fall to both sides, but neither of them could add to their tally and Colley's all win record was gone.

12 Oct 2008 - Senior Cup - The magnificent seven all to ride again

All seven of our representatives in the County FA Senior Sunday Cup progressed to the next round, scoring 36 goals between them. Stannington Village hammered ten past Hackenthorpe Blue Bell, while James Wainwright scored (see picture right) as Venue beat Winn Gardens 5-0, Hemsworth Villa grabbed five at Golden Plover and Niagara also hit five at home to Devonshire Arms. Pitsmoor Royal Oak hit four at home to Bradwell Skips, Woodhouse West End four at Worksop's Intake Ball, while Ecclesfield 147 went through on penalties after being held to a 3-3 draw by High Noon.

With a real flurry of goals, all seven of the Blades Super Draw clubs in the Senior Sunday Cup made it through to the next round, while no fewer than thirteen clubs made similar progress in the Junior Sunday Cup.

In the Senior Cup, the magnificent seven banged in 36 goals between them and leading the way was Stannington Village with a 10-5 victory over the Imperial League’s Hackenthorpe Blue Bell. Both Jamie Oxley and Sean Flynn grabbed hat-tricks and David Hague hit two screamers, while the smallest man on the pitch, Shane Hinshelwood, scored with his head and Jack Mylnek made it double figures.

Equally impressive was Venue’s 5-0 victory over Meadowhall Division One side Winn Gardens. It took them half an hour to break the deadlock when Darren Hartley set up Danny McLean and Venue took a grip of the game when Hartley set Paul Raynor up for the second on the stroke of half time. The game was as good as over three minutes into the second half when Raynor added his second and Venue added a fourth from man of the match James Wainwright, and a fifth when Richard Hirst (pictured left) crossed for Richard Gill to score.

Two David Tollerfield strikes saw Hemsworth Villa hold a two goal lead at Golden Plover at half time, but any thoughts of an easy victory were soon dispelled when their hosts pulled one back soon after the break. Plover should have been level soon after when they were awarded a penalty, but Villa keeper Jamie King denied them with a terrific save, yet he could do nothing to stop them drawing level soon after. Villa then had a piece of luck when Stefan Harris’s free kick from the half way line sailed over everyone and into the net and spurred on by that, Nick Owen added a fourth before Tollerfield completed his hat-trick.

Niagara also bagged five goals to beat Devonshire Arms in a nine goal thriller. They were helped on their way by two early own goals and although Arms pulled one back, Ben Dronfield had Niagara back in charge by half time. Arms didn’t give up though and remarkably two more own goals, this time by Niagara, sent the game into extra time. A handball allowed Carl Baldock to put Niagara back in front from the penalty spot and Craig Foster doubled their lead, and although Arms pulled one back again to set up a very nervy finish, Niagara held on.

Pitsmoor Royal Oak quickly found themselves two down at home to Bradwell Skips, but a twenty five yard Gavin Davis strike and a second from Scott Szpajer brought them level. Luke Parwana then crossed for Davis to nod home his second and Oak’s place in the next round was confirmed when Szpajer raced from his own half to add his second.

In a real topsy turvy game Woodhouse West End came away from Worksop’s Intake Ball with a narrow victory. Although it looked straight forward when Jason Short and Danny Hooper put West End two up, they also missed a host of other chances and it looked  their hosts hit back strongly to take a 3-2 lead, but West End were back level through an own goal before the interval. Both defences performed much better in the second half and a single Anthony Dolan goal, scrambled in from a corner, won it for West End.

One of the day’s best performances saw Ecclesfield 147 pip Meadowhall side High Noon on penalties after the teams had shared six goals.147 were behind to a headed goal at half time and they looked on their way out when a second came from a corner, but Danny Touhey started the fightback and Matt Clarke’s header even things up. 147 then took the lead when Scott Johnson’s header fell invitingly for Craig Senior to score and Senior should have wrapped it up soon after but hit the woodwork instead. The visitors then forced an equaliser to force the penalty shoot out, but it was 147 that held their nerve to win it 3-1.

Junior Cup - Thirteen up is not unlucky, especially for The Vine

Thirteen of our clubs made progress in the Junior Cup, with The Vine taking pride of place with a 13-0 victory over Worksop's Stanley Street - six of them coming from Ricky Davidson (pictured left). Woodhouse Angel's improved form continued as Kirk Briddon hit four in a 9-1 victory Worksop's Woodhouse Inn, while Fairbank-Rhodes came from three down with less than twenty minutes to go to win 5-3 at Hillsborough Trickshots.

There were lots more goals in the Junior Cup, with The Vine’s Ricky Davidson leading the way with six in his team’s 13-0 thrashing of Worksop’s Stanley Street. Steve Wilkinson grabbed a hat-trick, while the others came from Craig Woolley, Danny Seaman, Brent Heeley and Andy Marsh. Another Worksop side, Woodhouse Inn, felt the force from Woodhouse Angel as they beat them 9-1. Man of the match Kirk Briddon (pictured right) plundered four of the goals, while the others came from a Gareth Simons double and singles from Matt Hardy, Lee Marshall and Tom Goodall.

Fairbank-Rhodes completed the day’s most remarkable turnround came at Hillsborough Trickshots when they came from three down with just twenty minutes remaining to win 5-3 in extra time. Matt Nesta gave them hope and a Mark Draycott double brought them level before Nesta’s second and one from leading scorer Joe Knight won it. Laycock Sports found themselves two behind in just eighteen minutes at FDL Totley, but two Mick Plumtree strikes had them level by the interval and second half goals from Sam Read and the outstanding veteran Andy Register saw Laycock’s through.

Goals from Daniel Cooper, Nicky Moorhouse, David Thornhill and Paul Driver saw Hollin Bush complete an impressive 4-0 victory at home to Pheasant and Anston Athletic’s 4-2 victory at Rotherham Division Three Bradgate was equally impressive. Although Joe Bellamy put Anston ahead, they were behind at the interval, but with man of the match Simon Turner calling the shots, Ryan Taff levelled and Bellamy completed a hat-trick to take Anston through. Bulls Head also fell behind after just seven minutes at Norton, but two quick Jordan Barton strikes gave them a half time lead. Nick Ash added a third with just over ten minutes remaining and although Norton pulled one back they couldn’t force an equaliser.

Two sides to progress after penalty shoot-outs were Colley and Heeley Crown. Lee Campbell and John Daykin both equalised for Colley after they had twice fallen behind against Forty Foot and Colley looked to have won it when Richie Whitworth and Ian Seward goals gave them a 4-2 lead. Their local rivals hit back to level though and force the shoot-out, but Colley needn’t have worried as they converted all five of their penalties to go through.

Paddy O’Brien gave Heeley Crown the lead midway through the first half, but they were pegged back before the interval and afterwards it was their hosts Grenoside Club that looked the more likely to win it. Crown held on though and when it eventually went to penalties, keeper Cameron Swift made two terrific saves to put Crown through.

Four all-Blades Super Draw ties saw Sportsman Stannington and FC Brimington from Division One teams and Crookes & District and Oughtibridge Village from Division Two make progress. Sportsman fell behind after just five minutes at home to Junior Blades when James Allen scored, but Chris Greenwood soon levelled and although an Alan Lam double looked to have put the home side in charge, Junior Blades stormed back to level through Tom Higginbottom and a Sam Laycock header. Sportsman had saved the best til last though and two stunning strikes from Jason Collier and Scott Marsh put them through.

A one sided first half saw Elliott Christie and Michael Gartlan strikes have FC Brimington two up at the break at Red Lion, but Lion then found their roar and after Ryan Barker pulled one back from close range, they had other chances to level until Gartlan second ten minutes from time made the tie safe for Brimington.

Oughtibridge Village pulled off a surprise win at Division Two leaders Ranch with a Shaun Hammond double and singles from Charles Adams and Craig Hansen giving Village a 4-0 victory, but Crookes & District’s victory over Rivelin was much closer. Stansfield’s opener for Rivelin was cancelled out by Ainsley Crawley’s penalty and in the second half Crawley struck again to put Crookes in front. Smith levelled for Rivelin, but goal machine Crawley completed his hat-trick to steal it for Crookes.

Nathan Hanson and Scott Smith goals weren’t enough to stop Anvil going out at Walkley Cottage and Daz Griffiths goal wasn’t enough to save Handsworth Old Boys at Greenhill White Hart. McKenna and Jeffries strikes saw Aston give a good account of themselves before going out to Brunsmeer ‘B’, while Nicky Danks, Chris Roberts and Shaun Wilcockson goals weren’t quite enough to stop Southey Social losing out to Tavern Tigers.

CBC Premier - Handsworth woe continues as Millhouses Abacrombie climb to third

A Sam Bartram strike and Danny Turner's eighth league goal gave Millhouses Abacrombie a 2-0 victory over Handsworth WMC. It see Millhouses climb to third in the table, but it leaves Handsworth still looking for their first win and at the foot of the table.

Handsworth WMC’s winless run continued as Millhouses Abacrombie climbed to third with a 2-0 victory over them. Handsworth almost snatched the lead when David Cawrey’s header was cleared off the line, but Millhouses had the better of the first half and took the lead a minute before the break when Danny Stewart’s cross was flicked on by Rob Gardiner for Sam Bartram to apply the finish. After the break, Matt Hodgett fired wide and Millhouses keeper Mark Davies had to make several important saves, but Abacrombie sealed it when Ben Woodman’s long throw was flicked home by Danny Turner. Cawrey later hit the bar, but that was as close as Handsworth got to any consolation.

Division 1 - Service open up a gap at the top

With all the goals coming in the second half, Civil Service completed a 4-1 victory at Loxley to open up a four point gap at the top of the table. Although the home side shaded the first half, both defences held firm, but soon after the break the ever dangerous Wes Bamford opened the scoring for Service. John Bailey celebrated his return to Loxley by equalising, but Service were soon back in front when Adam Firth scored from the penalty spot and they made the three points safe with a third from Lee Wild and a fourth from Matt Meaney.

Division 2 - The Park grab first win

The Park finally secured their first league win of the season with a 2-1 victory at Birley Moor News. Dwayne Nevin’s goal for Birley wasn’t enough as Scott Sykes and Lee Bridges goals won it for The Park, but Birley’s cause wasn’t helped when their keeper had to give way to an injury in the second half.

League Cup - Steels too strong for Brinsworth

In the League Cup, Adam Todd’s header form Nick Ward’s corner and Phil Cookson’s goal in the first half , and Chris Kelly’s volley and a Nick Savage strike in the second saw CBC Premier Stocksbridge Park Steels put out Division Two Brinsworth Whitehill 4-0.

19 Oct 2008 - CBC Premier - Villa find Handsworth a right Pratt again, while West End go clear

Robert Pratt (pictured left) grabbed a hat-trick as Handsworth WMC earned its first win of the season by ending Hemsworth Villa's perfect record and continuing their grip over their visitors, but no such trouble for Woodhouse West End as they went three points clear with a 5-0 victory at Redmires, while Venue came from behind to win at Pitsmoor Royal Oak and Blue Ball won 2-0 at Stocksbridge Park Steels. Lee Pagden grabbed a last gasp equaliser for Ecclesfield 147 as they came from 3-1 down at Millhouses Abacrombie.

Handsworth WMC's hold over visitors Hemsworth Villa took just a minute to come to the surface again when Jamie King's through ball found Matt Hodgett and although his shot was blocked, it fell to Robert Pratt who made no mistake. Pratt made it 2-0 before half time when his twenty five yard free kick rebounded back to him off the wall and his second attempt flew in like a rocket. Villa came into the game more after the break, but when Carl Eaton's long throw fell kindly to Pratt he hit another absolute scorcher to complete his hat-trick. David Tollerfield did manage to pull one back for Villa with a glancing header and Nick Owen had a shot tipped onto the bar, but they never really looked likely to stop Handsworth first win of the season.

Woodhouse West End took full advantage by completing a very impressive victory at Redmires. Dave Kippax celebrated his return to the side after injury by starting it off after ten minutes and Ashleigh Atkins (pictured right) doubled their advantage just before the interval. Man of the match Sammy Glaves made it three as West End took complete control and the front two that caused Redmires so many problems, Jason Short and Atkins added two more in a game superbly refereed by Mr Crabtree.

Millhouses Abacrombie held onto third place by sharing six goals with Ecclesfield 147, but they missed the chance to go second by letting a two goal lead slip from their grasp. It took Danny Turner just two minutes to hit his ninth league goal for Millhouses and when David France crossed he volleyed his tenth to put them two up. Glen Bell pulled one back for 147, but they were two behind again by the break when Will Dunwell fired home. The second half saw 147 hit back strongly and after Matt Clarke had been denied, Craig Senior tapped home to pull one back. With Mark Davies pulling out all the stops in the Millhouses goal, it looked as if they would hold on, but in the very last minute Lee Pagden grabbed a deserved equaliser for the visitors.

Up to fourth is Blue Ball after a double from new signing Eric Sami saw them complete a second win of the season at Stocksbridge Park Steels. The nearest either side came to scoring in the first half was Ian Stacey's thirty yard thunderbolt that crashed against the bar. The second half saw the Ball keeper make two great saves to keep his side level and his good work was proved worthwhile when two great leaps from corners saw Sami head in twice and win it for Ball.

Venue found themselves behind early on at Pitsmoor Royal Oak when Scott Szpajer's shot was deflected over the keeper, but midway through the second half Venue were level when Richard Gill's cross was poked home by Ryan Cockayne and just ten minutes later Venue won it when good work by Daniel McLean was finished by James Wainwright's header past the keeper. Action from the game is shown below.

Division 1 - Read all about it for Laycock's, while Service held by Crown

Helped by a Sam Read strike, Laycock Sports are the only side left with a perfect record after they beat FC Brimington and Handsworth Old Boys were held at home by Red Lion. Leaders Civil Service were also held at home by Heeley Crown, but there were wins for Woodhouse Angel and Southey Social, while Chris King completed his hat-trick with virtually the last kick of the game for Sportsman Stannington to beat Junior Blades.

In the first of their two clashes in eight days it was Laycock Sports that came out on top against promotion rivals FC Brimington. A Sam Read solo effort gave Laycock's a half time lead and Luke Glaves doubled it soon after the break. Brimington responded with a Michael Gartlan goal and Elliott Christie should have done better when a chance fell to him, but in the end there was no denying Laycock's a deserved win.

Handsworth Old Boys perfect record also fell when they were held by Red Lion. Mark Jones gave Handsworth an early lead and they dominated the first half, but it was a different story after the break and David Hawley turned in the box to net his first goal for the club. Alex Ward also made a useful debut at right back for Lion, but try as they may, they couldn't breach the Handsworth defence again.

Another side held was leaders Civil Service, but it could have been much worse after Anthony Sidney and Paddy O'Brien strikes gave Heeley Crown a two goal lead in a first half they totally dominated. This was another game of two halves though and the leaders hit back after the break and the Crown goal seemed like the Alamo. Andrew Bath (pictured right) eventually pulled one back and Service should have been level when they were awarded a penalty, but Adam Firth missed from the spot. They did level through leading scorer Matt Meaney and really should have won it with the number of chances they created, but Crown hung on for a deserved point.

Up to fifth is Southey Social after they ensured that Loxley's miserable start continued with a 4-1 victory over them. Chris Roberts, Nicky Danks, Shaun Wilcockson and Green put Southey into an unassailable lead and they even scored another, but it was a volley into their own net for Loxley's consolation. It was a good performance by Southey, especially as manager Mark Guest was missing, so perhaps his assistant Ashley Burgin might just get his job. There was also yet another good performance from referee Steve Wilman.

Sportsman Stannington are up to sixth after Chris King's last gasp goal to seal his hat-trick just saw off Junior Blades in a seven goal thriller. Oliver Berman twice had the Blades in the lead, but twice King (pictured left) equalised. Chris Greenwood then shot across the keeper to put Sportsman ahead, but this time it was the Blades turn to level through James Allen and had it not been for a world class save by Sportsman keeper Paul Jackson the points would probably have gone the Blades' way. Just when it looked like a draw, King popped up in the area to volley home his third and the winner.

Woodhouse Angel earned their first league win of the season with an impressive 4-1 victory at Hollin Bush. Bush squandered the chance of an early lead when they were missed a penalty and Angel took full advantage to build a two goal lead through Lee Marshall's neat finish and Gareth Simons strike after a quick break. Arif Khan on his debut did score from the spot when Lion were awarded a second spot kick, but with Kirk Smith and Paul Barnett impressing for Angel they made their first win safe with two more from Spencer Starkes and Kirk Briddon.

Division 2 - Ash too hot for Colley, while Ranch go clear at the top

Nick Ash (pictured right) scored four and had two assists as Bulls Head slammed seven past Colley, while Oliver Whittaker hit three as Ranch hit seven as Brinsworth Whitehill to open up a three point gap at the top. There were wins for Fairbank-Rhodes and Birley Moor News, while two goals in the last three minutes earned Rivelin an unlikely point at home to Oughtibridge Village.

Ash's first assist allowed Mark Bryant to open up the scoring for Bulls Head and although Lee Campbell levelled for Colley, three Ash strikes just before and after half time put Bulls Head firmly in control. Mark Searle then gave Colley some hope until Ash grabbed his fourth and Bulls Head further increased their lead through Ben Hills twenty yard free kick into the top corner and Jordan Barton after being set up by that man Ash.

It wasn't enough to take Bulls Head to the top though as leaders Ranch also hit seven, without reply at Brinsworth Whitehill. Two Dave Ahmore strikes and one from Oliver Whittaker had Ranch in control by half time and they continued their superiority in the second half with two more from Whittaker and one each for Ben and Tom Hartley.

Fairbank-Rhodes impressive start continued with a hard earned three points at Aton. Matt Nesta gave them a fourth minute lead, but Aston were level by half time thanks to Scott McKenna's tewenty five yard free kick. Both teams then had chances to win it, but it went Fairbank-Rhodes' way with a disputed penalty after Joe Knight went down in the area, with Andy Baxter waiting to let the fuss die down before netting his spot kick.

Birley Moor News came from behind and rode their luck at times to grab a second win of the season at home to Anston Athletic. Joe Bellamy's early goal when he beat the offside trap had Anston in the lead at half time, but Neavin and Reeves strikes soon after the break put Birley in front. Simon Turner's corner flew straight into the net to bring Anston level and if they had taken just a few of the chances they created after that they would have been out of sight, but they paid dearly for it when Ashley Hughes struck what turned out to be the winner for Birley.

Oughtibridge Village looked well on their way to their second win of the season when second half goals from Craig Hanson and sub Paul Hawksworth had them two up with just three minutes remaining. Rivelin had other ideas though and Thomas Bermingham pulled a first back and they took an unlikely point with Johnny Stansfield's last gasp strike.

26 Oct 2008 - Pat Fitzmaurice and Mark Collier

The League was very saddened to hear of the deaths of former League President Pat Fitzmaurice and former Ecclesfield Regency star Mark Collier. Pat was one of the founders of the League and his work in it's early days cannot be underestimated. He twice played in goal for Simm FC in the League Cup Final and although not the tallest of goalkeepers he was one of the best, but it was with his work with Ecclesfield Regency and the League Management team that he came to the fore. He was instrumental in getting the league it's first sponsorship and the introduction of the League now famous Merit Awards, while he built one of the best teams the league has ever produced in Ecclesfield Regency (also known as Bass Regency, Bass Stones and Rising Sun). Pat also brought a legacy to the League as his son Andy Fitzmaurice also graced the League for many seasons and his grandson Adam Todd continues to play for CBC Premier side Stocksbridge Park Steels.

Mark Collier, one of the stars of Pat's team, was a striker of real quality and would easily be included in an all-time best team for the League. At just 37 he has left us far too early. All teams are asked to hold a minutes silence for them both next weekend.

26 Oct 2008 - Sunday Senior Cup - Flynn puts EA to the sword, while 147 & West End gallop through

A Sean Flynn treble helped Stannington Village thrash Meadowhall Premier leaders Arbourthorne EA 6-2, while a Gavin Hunter treble helped Ecclesfield 147 to a comfortable victory over Thorpe Red Lion. Mark Baraclough grabbed two as Woodhouse West End comfortably beat Doncaster Red Lion, while Pitsmoor Royal Oak might also go through after their Meadowhall opponents Handsworth Old Crown failed to provide a pitch for the game, but there was a narrow defeat for Hemsworth Villa at Packhorse Celtic. Niagara also fell at Royston Village, as did venue at home to a very impressive Athersley Recreation.

Stannington, with six 19 year olds in the side, had their hosts on the back foot right from the start and it was no surprise when Sean Flynn met Jack Mylnek's cross perfectly to head them in front and the impressive Jamie Oxley soon volleyed a second. EA then pulled one back, but Stannington restored their two goal lead almost immediately with Flynn's second. If EA thought they would do better in the second half they were sadly mistaken and Shane Toulson added Stannington's fourth with a stunning solo run and Flynn completed his hat-trick with a stunning free kick to put them 5-1 in front. Although EA did pull one back, it was Stannington that had the final say when Flynn turned provider for Oxley to grab his second.

Almost as impressive were Ecclesfield 147 at Rotherham side Thorpe Red Lion. Craig Senior headed 147 into an early lead and although the home side levelled before the break, 147 went back in front when Kevin Hunter's shot was parried by the keeper and Senior grabbed his second from the rebound with an acrobatic scissor kick. Red Lion levelled a second time, but after playing a neat one-two Gavin Hunter put 147 back in front and this time they were in no mood to let it slip. Hunter soon added a fourth when he got onto the end of a swift counter attack by his brother Kevin and he completed his hat-trick and the scoring by rounding the keeper and slotting home 147's fifth.

Woodhouse West End looked awesome as they cruised past Doncaster Red Lion 3-0. Jason Short kept up his record of a goal in every game to give them a first half lead and Mark Barraclough added two more with volleys into the bottom after the break. When Red Lion did get forward, stand-in centre half David Haley cut out most things and when he didn't, keeper John Badkin came and dominated his area. They are joined in the next round by Pitsmoor Royal Oak after their Meadowhall opponents Handsworth Old Crown failed to provide a pitch for the game, only notifying Pitsmoor of the problem at 7.40pm on the night before the game.

Hemsworth Villa put up a terrific fight at Packhorse Celtic before going down 4-3. Celtic went ahead in the fourth minute and they had doubled their lead by the break, but the start of the second half saw them pull one back when Mark Hopkinson was brought down in the area and Nick Owen scored from the spot. A penalty for Celtic saw them regain their two goal lead and when they added a fourth it looked all over, but Hopkinson ended a solo run by scoring Villa's second, before Steve Jones headed a third. They had their hosts pinned back now and Hopkinson hit a post and right at the end the Celtic keeper made a brilliant double save to earn his side victory, but they knew they had been given a real game.

Despite Paul Cadman giving them an early lead, not so close was Niagara's 4-1 defeat at Royston Village, while Venue were thumped 6-0 at home by an Athersley Recreation side that showed why they are many people's favourites to win the trophy.

26 Oct 2008 - Sunday Junior Cup - Briddon five sees Angel fly, while Brimington gain revenge

Kirk Briddon (pictured left) made it nine goals in the cup with five of Woodhouse Angel's goals in their 8-1 thrashing of The Bush, while the tie of the round saw FC Brimington gain revenge for last weekend's league defeat by beating Laycock Sports 2-0. Jason Collier grabbed three as Sportsman Stannington had an easy win over Dev AFC and there were wins for fellow Division One sides The Vine and Heeley Crown, but Hollin Bush went out on penalties. Bulls Head are the last remaining Division Two side after they narrowly beat Malin Rangers, but Fairbank-Rhodes went out in extra time and also out are Crookes & District, Colley, Oughtibridge Village and Anston Athletic.

After scoring four in the last round, Kirk Briddon decided to go one better and hit five in Woodhouse Angel's 8-1 thumping of The Bush. The Bush took an early lead, but they were never in it after that and as well as Briddon, Lee Marshall, Stuart Groves and Lance Dixon put their names on the scoresheet. Jason Collier was Sportsman Stannington's hat-trick hero as they brushed past Dev AFC 6-2. Tom Hughes, Jon Davis and Dane Hurst were Sportsman's other scorers.

The tie of the round though was Laycock Sports visit to an FC Brimington they had beaten the week before in the league, but this time it was Brimington's turn to come out on top with Elliott Christie's goal just before the break and Nathan Gordon's second half strike. Laycock's tried to get back into the game, but the nearest they came was a penalty appeal near the end.

Heeley Crown joined them in the next round with a hard earned win over Disraelis Worksop. Tom Gabbitas gave Crown the lead and although the visitors levelled with a spectacular scissors kick from the edge of the area, Crown were back in front at half time through Nick Eason. Some changes at half time saw Crown control the game more comfortably and sub Paddy O'Brien's strike made it safe.

The Vine also went through even though they trailed at half time to their hosts Westfield Rangers only shot on target. The Vine stepped things up after the break and two Chris Shirtcliffe crosses were both headed home by Joe France to ease them through. Bulls Head are the only Division Two side left after a narrow 3-2 victory over Malin Rangers. Mark Bryant put Bulls Head in front only to see in cancelled out three minutes before half time, but they still went into the break in front thanks to a Nick Ash strike. Their lead was extended in the second half with an own goal and although Malin pulled one back, Bulls Head hung on to go through.

Hollin Bush had the heartbreak of going out on penalties after Daniel Cooper and Josh Day strikes had seen them end all square with George & Dragon, while Lee Campbell and Mark Searle strikes weren't enough to stop Colley going out at home to Butchers Arms (Woodsetts). Even though Craig Hanson's goal had Oughtibridge Village level at Greenhill White Hart with just five minutes remaining a late collaspe saw Village go out 4-1. Matt Nesta's cross was turned into his own net by a defender to give Fairbank-Rhodes the lead at Northern Avenue and Andy Baxter later scored a second, but Fairbank went out as their hosts hit three goals without reply in extra time. Crookes & District's day started badly when only nine men arrived for their cup tie at Cobden View and hit got worse as their hosts hit nine without reply.

CBC Premier - Hickson double sees of Steels & lifts Redmires

Redmires climbed six places as a Nick Hickson double and one from John Mellor was just enough to give them victory at Stocksbridge Park Steels, leaving the host rock bottom. Adam Todd gave Stocksbridge the lead after just ten minutes, but Redmires levelled when Nick Hickson headed home Danny Lindley's corner and Redmires went in front when Hickson picked up the pieces after Lindley's shot had been parried by the keeper. John Mellor extended Redmires lead and although Phil Cookson pulled one back for Steels with five minutes remaining, Redmires hung on.

Division 1 - Loxley hit Blades for six to claim first win

Player manager John Denton and Tom Shelton both scored twice as Loxley finally got some points with a 6-0 thrashing of a Junior Blades that replaced them at the foot of the table. Danny Bray gave Loxley the lead before Neil Coles set Denton up for his first and Shelton added his brace before half time. Although the Blades improved after the break, Loxley's man of the match Mick Smith added a fifth when he cut in from the wing and hammered the ball into the corner of the net, before Denton added his second to complete the scoring.

Division 2 - It's a top ten for Anvil and Rivelin, but Ranch go six points clear

The best entertainment of the day saw Rivelin come from 5-1 down to share ten goals with Anvil, but Ranch made no mistake to beat Birley Moor News and go six points clear at the top. James Davis's late goal was enough for Aston to come from behind and grab a surprise win at The Park.

An Alistair Mitchell penalty followed by James Wetherall and Danny Hirst strikes gave Anvil a three goal lead and even though Scott Smith pulled one back before the break, it looked all over for Rivelin when Andy Hill and Matt Asher put Anvil 5-1 ahead. Anvil defence obviously also thought it was all over and started to lose concentration and  Rivelin took full advantage to hit back and along with Scott Smith's second, Danny Smith, Jon Stansfield and Paul Nasim all found the net to give the visitors an unlikely share of the spoils.

Steve Batty's long throw was flicked on by Carl Pierce for Dave Ashmore to tap in Ranch's opener against Birley Moor News and Ashmore added his second soon after when stand-in keeper Adam Hadfield's long clearance was played into his path by Oliver Whittaker. When a defender's header fell to captain Ian Buckley, he curled in Ranch's third before the break and although Mark Muir pulled one back for Birley in the second half, they never looked likely to stop the leaders extending their lead to six points.

Shaun Marsond gave The Park an early lead at home to Aston, but they were pegged back by Sam Thorpe. Aston keeper then saved a penalty to keep his side level and they had a number a of fortunate escapes as |The Park rattled the woodwork several times, but Aston rode their luck and took all three points when Scott Hall held the ball up before playing it in for James Davis to tap in their winner.



League Tables | Fresh Co-op Milk Cup | County FA Cups | Results | Fixtures

Awards | News | Clubs | History | Sponsors | Management

Email : sssl