Website in association with Angel Networks




All the old reports for November are shown below. See News Index for other months

4 Nov 2007 - League Cup Super Service make Niagara fall

The first five ties in the League Cup Round Three produced two shocks as two Adam Firth goals made Niagara fall at Civil Service and a Gavin Davis double saw Division One Pitsmoor Royal Oak to victory over Woodhouse Angel.

Civil Service had already put one CBC Premier side out so Niagara knew they were going to get a real test and they weren't disappointed. Niagara must have thought they were on their way to the next round when Tom Oxley tapped home at the back post, but a brilliant left foot free kick into the top corner saw Adam Firth equalise before half time and in the second half he beat the centre half before tucking the ball past the keeper for the winner that sends Service into only their second ever quarter final.

Service will meet Division One Pitsmoor Royal Oak in their quarter final after last season's losing finalists showed their determination for a return to Bramall Lane with a 2-0 victory over CBC Premier Woodhouse Angel. Once again it was their leading scorer Gavin Davis that did the damage. A quick break saw Tommy Fowler provide the cross for Davis to stab the ball home for the first half opener and he made their progress safe in the second half when he rose highest to head home Darren Foreman's cross.

Woodhouse does halve one team through though after West End beat Division One Sheldon Athletic 4-1. Dave Kippax hit two of the goals along with one from Alan Hull and one from man of the match Danny Hooper, but Sheldon gave a really good account of themselves and after having one goal disallowed they got a deserved consolation from Sean Higginbottom.

Another losing finalist determined to have another crack at Bramall lane is Laycock Sports, who put their disappointing league form behind them to beat fellow CBC Premier and former cup holders Stocksbridge Park Steels 3-0. John Kilcoyne was the architect of a victory that was won with a three goal blast in ten first half minutes. Scott Wesney headed the first, Sam Read kept up his run of goals by heading the second and Matt Kent provided the cross for Chris Gill to add the third.

After the break, Steels hit them with everything they had and twice hit the woodwork, had one cleared off the line and brought out several good saves from the Laycock's keeper, but just for once the Laycock's defence held firm.

The all Division One tie saw Devonshire pip The Park in a game that was on a knife edge all the way through. Lee Bridges put The Park in front early on and if Matt Hill's shot had gone in instead of just wide, they might well have gone on to win, but Gregg Shaw levelled for Devonshire from the penalty spot in the first half and Joe Mothersole put them ahead soon after the break.

The Park hit back to level when Hill's pass found Gregg Ramsden unmarked, but they were behind again when their keeper couldn't keep ou Tom Colclough's free kick. The Park then thre everything at their visitors, but stand-in keeper Duane Ellis was magnificent in Devonshire's goal and he wasn't beaten again.

CBC Premier Ball a-Mace-ing & Gallagher treble keeps Handsworth right behind

In the league the top two in the CBC Premier, Blue Ball and Handsworth WMC both won to open up a bit of a gap below them and it would have been even wider had Hemsworth Villa not also won.

An explosive start at Ecclesfield Travellers saw Blue Ball first take the lead when Danny Mace's corner flew straight into the net and although they were pegged back as Ben Hill levelled for the home side, Ball were back in front on fifteen minutes when Paul Marrison steered the ball home, but just five minutes later Travellers were level again when Matt Clark's shot was deflected past the keeper.

It stayed like that until half time, but after the break Ball, with Richard Ford doing a terrific man marking job on Travellers danger man Craig Senior, proved unstoppable. A flowing move was ended in style with a more conventional goal from Mace, Adam Podmore added a fourth and a quick break saw Danny Nelson add a fifth and final goal.

Although Oxspring Lowood went into their game bouyed by their first point the week before, their fragile confidence received a hammer blow when Dean Brown gave Handsworth WMC an early lead and you could almost see it drain out of them when Kieran Gallagher drilled home a free kick to double the visitors lead before half time.

After the break Gallagher beat two defenders to hit his second and after Paul Renshaw had netted from close range, Gallagher completed his hat-trick before he then laid a sixth goal on for sub David Cawrey.

Scott Moat opened the scoring for Hemsworth Villa at home to Redmires, but after Danny Lindley had levelled for Redmires, Moat went from hero to zero when he received his marching orders. Some teams would have collapsed after such a body blow, but with Dave Thompson inspirational in midfield, Villa kept to their game plan and deservedly won it when Redmires keeper Karl Taylor made a very rare mistake in palming the ball into his own net.

Division One Gregory treble sees off Park and Trickshots win again

In Division One, Handsworth Old Boys and Sportsman Stannington both won to put themselves back into the promotion race, while Trickshots closed the gap on the teams above them with their second successive victory.

Handsworth Old Boys had already handed out a big defeat on Pen Nook and it looked like they were going to do it again when a Trevor Jones double along with singles from Josh Coulson and James Law gave them a four goal lead soon after half time, but Pen Nook got back into it with a Scott Birch double and it was game on when Ryan Cockayne stabbed home a third. Nook continued to press and had several good chances to level, but it wasn't to be as Handsworth just held on.

Although Mark Gregory's first goal for Sportsman Stannington was cancelled out by Park & Arbour LFS's Daniel Smith when he was first to the ball after Danny Adkins had seen his penalty saved by the keeper, another from Gregory and one from Chris King had Sportsman 3-1 up at the break. After the break, Kieran Surgeon sent Danny Adkins clear to reduce the arrears, but Sportsman took control and after Gregory had completed his hat-trick, Scott Wasden added a fifth, making Danny Hadi's third for Park nothing more than a consolation.

Trickshots took an early lead when man of the match David Nash hit a terrific free kick into the top left hand corner, but they were pegged back before half time when John Bailey netted for Loxley from close range. John Denton then missed a golden opportunity to put Loxley ahead and they had hard luck when Glen Kirby hit a post. Their luck ran out altogether when a long ball found their defence napping as Scott Marcus put Trickshots back in front and the made victory safe when sub Matt Roberts beat two players before slotting home from a tight angle.

Division Two Doubles all round as Bush hit leaders

Division Two leaders Oughtibridge Village missed the opportunity to put some space between themselves and the rest when they slipped to their third away defeat at Hollin Bush and now just three points separate the top eight clubs. Junior Blades lost their unbeaten record in a nine goal thriller with Fairbank-Rhodes and despite playing for sixty minutes with just ten men, FC Brimington completed a 5-1 win at Southey Social.

Danny Cooper hit both goals as Bush opened up a two goal half time lead and although Matt Cuff pulled one back for Village, Nick Moorhouse's first ever goal for Bush made victory safe for them.

Tom Crick gave Junior Blades an early two goal lead at home to Fairbank-Rhodes, but after Andy Baxter had pulled one back for the visitors it all went wrong for them. Richard Tidy levelled soon after the break, before another from Baxter and others from Knight and Hebdige put Fairbank 5-2 in front. The Baldes then found their second wind and pulled two back through Michael Staveley and Daniel Law, but they couldn't force the equaliser that would have saved their record.

Although Elliott Christie and Michael Gartland gave FC Brimington a quick two goal lead at Southey Social, the game looked as if it might swing Southey's way when Brimington keeper Simon Newton was dismissed for bringing down a forward just outside the area, but while the home side were working out what they would do to take advantage, Christie ran through to add a third.

After the break, any thoughts that Southey could get back into the game were quickly dispelled as Matt Collier and Nathan Gordon added two more for Brimington and sub keeper Paul Hirons was rarely threatened before Matt Meaney grabbed a late consolation.

Bottom club Freemasons Arms have been shipping goals at a very alarming rate so it was a very pleasant surprise when they took the lead at home to Bulls Head. They were pegged back when Paul Baxter-Gibson netted from the spot after a very disputed penalty award and when Jordan Barton, Mark Bryant and Nick Ash goals saw Bulls Head open up a 4-1 lead, Freemasons must have feared another heavy defeat was on the way, but they regrouped and got back into the game with an own goal and produced a very much improved display.

Brinsworth Whitehill missed the chance to get within two points of the leaders when they slipped to defeat at an improving Anston Athletic. Although Tom Gabbitas in the first half and Adam Russell in the second half gave Anston a two goal lead, when Aaron Turner and Jamie Radford brought Brinsworth level, they looked the more likely winners, but it went Anston's way when Russell hit a low right foot shot into the bottom corner.

11 Nov 2007 - League Cup Old Boys have a Ball, while Mosborough and WMC also go through

The last three ties of the League Cup Round Three saw Division One Handsworth Old Boys create a major shock when a Dave Griffiths penalty was sufficient to knock out CBC Premier leaders Blue Ball, while Handsworth WMC came out on top in their all-CBC Premier tie at Redmires and Division One Mosborough Royal Oak need extra time to overcome Division Two FC Brimington.

The decisive moment for Handsworth Old Boys came when Trevor Jones was felled in the area by Richard Hanson and Dave Griffiths stepped up to tuck the penalty away. Ball hit the bar and had plenty of the game, but James Law also hit the woodwork for the Old Boys and with Danny Levesley superb at the back, the Old Boys always looked in command. Old Boys keeper Craig Short didn't have that much to do until he made a crucial save in the final minute to preserve his sides progress.

From the moment danny Franklin set Matt Hodgett up to lob the Redmires keeper to give Handsworth WMC the lead, the result rarely looked in doubt. They doubled their lead before half time when Robert Pratt crossed for Kieran Gallagher to head home and Handsworth completed a comfortable victory when Hodgett crossed for Pratt to add a third in the second half.

FC Brimington couldn't have had a worse start at home to Mosborough Royal Oak when a defender turned Brent Healey's cross into his own net, but they levelled before half time with a Matt Collier penalty. After the break, Oak again took the lead when Joe France found the net and although Brimington forced extra time with a Nathan Gordon strike, France met Will Blakeney's cross to win it for the visitors.

CBC Premier Adam is Steels first man and West End's Spencer is Taylor made

In the league, Stannington Village and Woodhouse West End both closed the gap on the CBC Premier leaders, while Stocksbridge Park Steels gained a vital win, but the bottom two got the draw neither really wanted from their clash.

Sean Flynn's right boot gave Stannington Village an early lead at Niagara and he looked to be putting them on the way to a comfortable win when he beat two defenders before doubling his side's lead on the half hour mark, but Ben Dronfield netted before half time to put Niagara back into the game.

It looked as if Stannington would have to settle for just a point when Carl Baldock levelled for the home side, but just when it looked like time was running out, sub Paul Womack met Flynn's cross to win it for the visitors.

The Hemsworth Villa defence appealed in vain for offside when a ball over the top saw Spencer Taylor go through to put Woodhouse West End in front. Mark Hopkinson fastened on to a loose ball to drill Villa level, but Taylor struck again to restore West End's lead. Villa did all they could to grab a point and David Tollerfield had one cleared off the line, but their final chance went begging when Scott Moat missed in front of goal.

Stocksbridge Park Steels were gifted the lead when an Ecclesfield Travellers defender turned Adrian Tazziman's cross into his own net. Adam Todd then headed in to double their lead and the game looked all over when he added a third before half time. After the break it was Travellers turn to get a gift when a Steels defender turned the ball into his own net and when Matt Clarke headed a second they had Steels rocking, but they couldn't quite get the reward their second half deserved.

Oxspring Lowood struck first in their basement battle with Laycock Sports when Craig Hanson headed them in front on sixteen minutes and had it not been for Laycock's keeper Grant Parkin they might well have had the game won before half time, but Laycock's got back into the game after the break and Sam Read kept his goal streak going with the equaliser that leaves both sides stuck firmly at the bottom.

Division One Roberts Trickshot fells leaders, while Chris is King

Division One leaders Millhouses Abacrombie missed the opportunity to put some light between themselves and the rest when they lost at fast improving Trickshots. Makeshift striker Matt Roberts grabbed the games only goal, but Abacrombie thought they had levelled from the penalty spot, only for the referee to make the take it again and this time Danny Turner failed to convert it.

Sportsman Stannington put themselves right into the thick of the promotion race with victory over Pen Nook, but after establishing a five goal lead before half time, they almost threw it away in the second half. Chris King netted the first three and when Mark Gregory and Scott Marsh added two more before the interval it looked all over, but they were reduced to ten men when King had to limp off and Nook suddenly looked a different team.

Mike Smith headed Nook's first before Scott Birch tapped in a second and produced a neat finish for a third. Smith then found the corner of the net for Nook's fourth with ten minutes remaining and it looked certain that they would grab an equaliser, but Sportsman's defence just managed to hold on.

Anthony Sydney's deflected shot gave Sheldon Athletic the lead at Loxley, but the home side levelled when Simon Mirfin headed in a corner before half time. After the break Sheldon came out strongly and it needed keeper Richard Walker to keep Loxley level, so it was against the run of play when another corner saw John Bailey head Loxley into the lead.

Normally a keeper, Gareth Turner was making the most of a game in midfield for Loxley and with Mick Smith now causing Sheldon's defence all kinds of problems, Glen Kirby clinched it for Loxley from the edge of the area.

Division Two Smallwood treble keeps Village on top, but chasing pack stay in touch

A Chris Smallwood treble helped Oughtibridge Village to keep top spot with victory over Junior Blades, but still level on points with them is Civil Service after their win at Fairbank-Rhodes, and Hollin Bush, who kept their good run going with victory at Colley Club, while Anston Athletic gained their first away win at Bulls Head and Southey Social came from behind to win at Brinsworth Whitehill.

Although Paul Johnstone levelled briefly for the Junior Blades they never looked likely to end Oughtibridge's unbeaten home record and Matt Cuff added the home side's other after Smallwood's treble.

Wes Bamford gave second place Civil Service a first half lead at Fairbank-Rhodes, but they hadn't been that convincing and stand-in manager Martyn Kitridge decided to ring the changes at half time. his bravery was rewarded by a better second half and Dave Whitby added two more before Danny Fowler added a fourth. Mitchell Robinson managed a late consolation for the home side and the form of youngster Lewis Barnes continues to attract attention from scouts.

Hollin Bush stayed level on points with the top two with a stirring second half display at Colley Cub. Neither side had found the net in the first half, but after the break, two from Steve Stenton and one each from Paul Driver and Josh Kay saw Bush run out comfortable winners.

Southey Social must have thought they would lose ground when Aaron Turner gave Brinsworth Whitehill the lead, but Southey hit back to first level through Lee Clayton and then win it through Matt Meaney.

Anston Athletic continued their improvement with a 3-2 victory at Bulls head, but that didn't look too likely when Mark Bryant put the home side ahead. Bulls head pressed for a second, but Anston have players that can hit teams on the break and it was typical when Ryan Taff raced away to level before another quick break saw Joe Bellamy outpace the home side's defence to put Anston ahead.

Paul Baxter-Gibson then had the chance to level things up for Bulls Head, but he saw his penalty brilliantly saved by Anston keeper Jon Parker. The home side did manage to level with Bryant's second, but with just a few minutes remaining, Taff just managed to squeeze the ball home for his second and Anston's winner.

14 Nov 2007 - Devonshire re-instated to Junior Cup

The League now has five clubs trying for a place in the last 16 of the Junior Cup this coming Sunday 18 Nov after Devonshire were re-instated because their opponents in the previous round, Denby St Sportsman, were punished by the County FA for playing an illegal player against Devonshire in the previous round. Devonshire will now meet Pickwick Borough at Warminster Road. Park & Arbour LFS will now play Trickshots in a re-arranged League game.

18 Nov 2007 - Junior Cup Barker treble as Devonshire run riot

Although Devonshire (pictured left) lost in the previous round of the Sunday Junior Cup, they were reinstated after their opponents were found to have played a suspended player against them and Devonshire took full advantage to book their place in the last sixteen with a 7-2 victory over Pickwick Borough.

Ryan Barker started the rout and he was their main destroyer, grabbing four goals. After Barker's first had been cancelled out, Adrian Von Wurzbach almost immediately restored their lead and Barker quickly doubled it. Chris Leek popped up at the back post for number four before Barker completed his hat-trick. Barker's brother Lewis then got his name on the scoresheet, before Barker added his fourth.

Also in the last sixteen are The Park who put their poor league form behind them to beat Athersley Arms 3-0. The visitors were one of the favourites to go all the way in the competition, but a Greg Ramsden double and one from Lee Bridges gave The Park a very impressive victory.

The third side through is Division Two FC Brimington after a single Michael Gartland strike gave them victory over a very good AFC Titans outfit. Gartland combined with his strike partner Elliott to carve out the games decisive moment, but it took a great team effort to hold on to their lead.

The other remaining Division Two side Civil Service were desperately unlucky to go out to a single goal at Doncaster's Adam & Eve and also out is Pitsmoor Royal Oak. Scott Sjazers created goals for Stuart Dyson and Leon Stocks on his return from a broken leg but a flurry of late goals from their visitors Maltby Miners 'B' confirmed their status as another of the favourites for the trophy.

CBC Premier Bradbury double lifts Stannington

In the League, CBC Premier leaders Blue Ball recovered from the shock of conceding two own goals to win 3-2 at Oxspring Lowood. Oxspring took the lead when James Smith's free kick was deflected past his own keeper by a defender and a Liam Hirst cross met the same fate to make it 2-0 to Oxspring.

Ball's fightback began before the break when Adam Podmore pounced on a mistake at the back and the second half wasn't too old when Joe barker headed the equaliser. Ball were now in full flow and the almost inevitable winner came when Richard Ford got his head to a cross.

Just behind Ball now is Stannington Village after they beat Handsworth WMC to leapfrog over them. Handsworth could have got off to a sensational start when Matt Hodgett was put clean through after just ten seconds, but he was denied by the keeper and Stannington took full advantage. Josh Wright headed for David Hague to hit their opener before two Simon Bradbury strikes made it 3-0.

Handsworth reduced the arrears before half time when Kieran Gallagher crossed for Hodgett to make amends for his earlier miss with a spectacular overhead kick, but even though both sides went close in the second half, Stannington never really looked likely to give up their lead.

Third now is Woodhouse West End after they maintained their 100% record with a 7-1 home win over Niagara. For forty minutes the games stayed very even, but once Dale Fuller put West End ahead from the penalty spot there was no stopping them. Alan Hull added a second before half time and in the second half Rob Colshaw netted two, Danny Hooper and Ashleigh Atkins one each and veteran John Faruga got his name on the scoresheet in a rare appearance. Niagara's consolation came from James Shepherd.

Hemsworth Villa stepped up their title bid as Nick Owen got back on the goal trail to help them to a 3-2 win at Woodhouse Angel. Villa started well, but were rocked back when Ryan McGuiness's cross was headed home by Kirk Briddon to give Angel the lead. Villa responded immediately and when Mark Hopkinson was brought down in the area Owen stepped up to level from the spot.

After the interval it was Owen's pace that caught the Angel defence out as he put Villa ahead and with Angel keeper James Clewes having to produce save after save it looked as if Villa would go on to win comfortably, but they were stunned when Paul Barnett crossed for McGuiness to level. Villa weren't to be denied though and after being denied by the keeper several times, Scott Moat (pictured left) finally found a way past Clewes to rifle home the winner.

After four consecutive defeats Redmires got back on track with a 3-1 victory at struggling Laycock Sports. After an even start Danny Lindley dribbled through to give Redmires a half time lead, but early in the second half Simon Bartles brought the home side level. Redmires continued to have the better of the game though and only some fine saves by Grant Parkin kept Laycock's level, but when Lindley crossed for Mick Hickson to meet the ball, Parkin could do nothing to stop the visitors going back in front. John Mellor had made a surprise return to the Redmires side and he celebrated by setting Andy Birks up for the clincher.

Adam Todd had netted twice on the previous weekend to help Stocksbridge Park Steels win at Ecclesfield Travellers, but he only needed to score once this weekend to see Steels complete an eight day double. Travellers did their utmost to get back on level terms and both Craig Senior and Danny Touhey went close, but Steels held on to put further distance between themselves and the bottom three.

Division One Berry and Turner doubles see Abacrombie widen gap

Although they fell behind to Chris King's thirteenth goal of the season, Division One leaders Millhouses Abacrombie hit back to beat Sportsman Stannington 4-2 and open up a four point gap at the top of the table. King turned on a sixpence to volley the visitors in front, but Ally Berry drilled home a first half equaliser. In the second half, Danny Turner had three goes before putting Abacrombie in front before Berry had added his second. Turner did the same at the near post to make it four before Mark Gregory grabbed a late second for Sportsman.

Handsworth Old Boys also fell behind when Steve Cousin headed Sheldon Athletic in front, but they also hit back to win with two from James law and on from Carl Bowler. No such problems for Park & Arbour LFS as they also got back into the promotion reckoning with victory over Trickshots. Skipper Danny Hadi headed them in front before Darren Knowles met a long throw to double Park's lead. Trickshots got back into it with a David Nash penalty, but Park made the points safe when Danny Adkins headed on for Shaun Hilliard to score with a half volley.

Despite a Ben Prior treble, Mosborough Royal Oak's challenge suffered a bit of a stumble after the let a two goal lead slip before drawing at Pen Nook. Jonjo Riley headed Oak in front only for Danny McLean to cross for Scott Birch to head an equaliser for the home side before half time. The second half saw Prior net his first to put Oak back in front and although McLean scrambled home a second for Nook, when a clearance rebounded off the referee it fell perfectly for Prior to add his second.

It looked all over when Prior completed his hat-trick, but Nook had other ideas and after Craig Barraclough scrambled home their third, Dan Lewis poked home an equaliser. Nook had lost 5-4 the week before and in the final minute they almost did it again, but this time keeper Steve Marshall stopped Prior adding his fourth right on the line.

Division Two Foreman in charge as Freemasons get off the mark, while Junior Blades cut Brinsworth to ribbons

Oughtibridge Village returned to the top of Division Two when sub Danny Hill (pictured right) inspired them to a 4-1 victory at Anston Athletic. Hill had been introduced after a goalless first half and he wasted no time before putting Village in front. Adam Smith levelled for Anston, but they were soon behind again when Dave Fidler found the net and further goals from Shaun Hammond and Chris Smallwood confirmed the three points and top spot for the visitors.

It was a red letter day for Freemasons Arms as they drew 1-1 with Fairbank-Rhodes to earn their first point of the season. Lee Foreman put Arms ahead just after half time and just for once a well organised defence looked as if they might hold on to win, but they had to settle for a point after Kevin Bull gave a penalty away to allow Andy Baxter to level from the spot.

Despite taking a first half lead through Matthew Meaney, Southey Social's title bid took a dent as Bulls Head fought back to beat them 4-2. Just after half time Paul Yates ran through to level before sub Jordan Barton put Bulls Head in front with his first touch of the ball. Chris Roberts dragged Southey level, but Bulls Head went back in front when Matt Coates provided a real gloss finish from forty yards and Barton netted another to clinch it for the visitors.

Junior Blades ended their four game winless run in real style by thrashing Brinsworth Whitehill 9-0. Tom Crick was the main pain in the neck for the home side netting three of them along with a Paul Johnson double and singles from Adam Hardwick, Will Clegg, Tom Higginbottom and James Allen.

25 Nov 2007 - CBC Premier Johnson has a Ball at Village expense

Blue Ball proved that it is going to take a very good team to dislodge them from the CBC Premier's top spot after they hammered a Stannington Village that started the day just a place and a point behind them.

Adam Podmore volleyed Ball into an early lead and they probably knew it was going to be their day when Lee Johnson's corner flew straight into the net to double their lead before half time. Stannington started the second half much better, but just when it seemed they might get back into the game, Johnson added a real gloss finish from thirty yards to make it 3-0. Johnson continued to terrorise the visitors defence and he set up Danny Mace to tap in a fourth and open up a three point gap at the top.

Up to second now is Woodhouse West End after they put to bed a few ghosts at Stocksbridge Park Steels. Steels was the spot of their only defeat on their way to the title last season, but this time, despite missing a first half penalty, they never looked like being beaten. Dave Kippax put them ahead in the first half before second half goals from Colt and David Haley sealed the points. The nearest Steels came to scoring was a Luke Parkinson effort.

Hemsworth Villa climbed up to third after a 2-0 home victory over Laycock Sports, but even Villa had to admit that the result was a little cruel on a Laycock side that produced a performance much better than their next to bottom position. Villa repeatedly found Oliver Heehl a real obstacle in the centre of the Laycock defence and it wasn't until the second half that the goals came. Nick Owen headed on for Scott Moat to poke home Villa's first before Owen clinched it after getting onto the end of Matt Gray's pinpoint cross.

Fourth are Handsworth WMC after two Robert Pratt strikes in the second half gave them victory at Redmires. The home side had probably had more of the play, but they couldn't find an end product and they paid for it when Carl Eaton's long clearance was headed on by David Cawrey for Pratt to put Handsworth ahead and it was Cawrey again that paved the way for Pratt's second. Eaton was then called upon to make a terrific save and Eddie Holmes a terrific block to stop Redmires getting back into it.

Ecclesfield Travellers felt they had not been getting the results they play deserved and that one day someone was going to pay. That day came at Woodhouse Angel's expense. Craig Senior put Travellers ahead early on and Jayson Reeves (pictured left) doubled their lead before half time. Reeves added his second soon after the break before Senior did the same. James Clewes in the Angel goal was doing his best to stem the tide, but he couldn't stop Reeves from completing his hat-trick and Matt Collier adding a sixth before Angels only delight came from Dave Price.

They weren't the day's biggest scorers though, with that honour falling to Niagara who beat bottom club Oxspring Lowood 9-3. Dan Burgess was their biggest hitter with four and his brother Malcolm also added his name to the scoresheet. Carl Baldock netted twice, Craig Foster and Chris Smith one each and it could have been worse for the home side as Niagara also hit the woodwork three times. Oxspring's goals came from Andrew Robinson, Paul Clarke and Richard Hirst, but they were much consolation.

Division One Loxley hold leaders as Pitsmoor and Handsworth close in

Division One leaders Millhouses Abacrombie twice let the lead slip out of their grasp and saw their lead cut after they were held to a 3-3 draw at Loxley. It looked very good for Abacrombie when Mark Adams scissors kick and Danny Turner's quick turn gave them a two goal lead within the first five minutes.

Although both Glen Kirby and John Bailey went close for Loxley in the first half, and after a number of positional changes at half time they got back into it. It still needed a piece of good fortune to help, with Scott Parkin's cross eluding everyone to find the net and soon after Liam Bamforth set Geoff Mayfield up for the equaliser.

With both Bamforth and Mayfield having more of an influence Loxley looked the more likely winners, so it was a real blow to them when Sam Bartram's neat finish put Abacrombie back in front with just two minutes remaining, but instead of giving up Loxley hit back again and Mick Smith, in a rare game as striker, hooked home their equaliser in the last few seconds.

Coming up fast is Pitsmoor Royal Oak who despite a Scott Szpajer penalty miss, won 3-0 at Sportsman Stannington. Paul Hind lobbed the keeper to put them ahead and Luke Parwana soon doubled it. With Craig O'Brien dominating in midfield a third goal came before half time from the head of Gavin Davis. Sportsman did their best to get back into it after the break but the nearest they came was when Chris King hit the bar and then saw one cleared off the line.

Handsworth Old Boys were gifted a start after just two minutes when a cross from the right was headed into his own net by Park & Arbour LFS's Graham Smith, but there was nothing lucky about Tommy Brown's finish at the near post to double their lead in the second half. Park got back into it when Darren Knowles scored with a free kick after Daniel Smith had been fouled, but the Old Boys held on.

Devonshire looked likely to make it eight wins in a row when Tom Colclough's deflected shot and Ryan Barker's strike gave them a two goal lead before half time at The Park, but a minute into the second half Adam Parker marked his return from injury with a goal for Park and it was suddenly game on.

Matt Milnes then saw his penalty brilliantly tipped onto a post by Devonshire keeper Sean Johnson, but The Park weren't to be denied and Greg Ramsden produced a brilliant finish to earn them a point.

Mosborough Royal Oak missed the opportunity to make up ground on the leaders as they were held to a goalless draw by Sheldon Athletic. Ricky Davidson and Simon Blackburn both went close and Ben Prior hit a post for Oak. It also needed some great saves by Sheldon keeper Shannon Swift to keep Oak out, but they also had their moments and had two efforts disallowed.

Trickshots came from behind to continue their improvement with a 2-1 home win over Pen Nook. Mike Smith's deflected shot gave Nook the lead and they also hit both post and bar, but when Simon Marcus played Scott Lees in he took one touch before equalising. Louis Barnes again had non-league scouts watching his performance for Trickshots and he was involved in the move that saw Gary Cooper put Chris Greenwood through for the winner.

Division Two Service back on top as Brimington cut down Village

Civil Service are back on top of Division Two after they won 2-0 at Brinsworth Whitehill and Oughtibridge Village lost 5-2 at FC Brimington. Despite dominating Service looked as if they were going to have one of those days when the ball wouldn't go in but three minutes before the break Danny Fowler hit a screamer from the edge of the area to put them in front and within a minute he headed a second from Simon Hall's cross. Brinsworth had much more of the game after the break, but rarely looked likely to stop Service from winning.

Chris Keeley gave FC Brimington a first half lead against Oughtibridge Village and shortly after the interval Elliott Christie doubled their advantage. The visitors must have thought they were going to take a least a point when Sean Hammond and John Gill levelled for them, but three in the last ten minutes from Michael Gartland, Christie and Matt Collier (pictured right) gave Brimington the points.

Hollin Bush also let points slip when they were surprisingly held at home by bottom club Freemasons Arms. Steve Stenton netted for Bush and they hit the woodwork four times, but no one could deny that Freemasons didn't deserve the point their gritty performance and Lee Foreman's goal gave them.

Southey Social must have thought they might also drop some points at Fairbank-Rhodes went they went into the interval behind to Joe Knight goal for the home side, but Southey hit back after the interval and won it with goals from Chris Roberts and Matthew Meaney, although it still needed a man of the match performance from their keeper to make sure the points went their way.

Bulls Head have pushed themselves into the promotion race with their third win in their last four games, 3-1 over Junior Blades. Paul Nunn opened the scoring after twenty minutes and just after the break Jordan Barton made it two. The Junior Blades rallied and hit both bar & post, but with Nick Ash pulling the strings in midfield the home side never looked like losing it and Mark Bryant made certain with a third before Tom Lewis grabbed a consolation for the visitors.

The days most exciting game came at Colley Club where the visitors Anston Athletic came out on top of a nine goal thriller. Tom Gabbitas rifled home Anston's first from twenty five yards and Ryan Taff netted their second after Simon Turner had won the ball. After the break Ian Seward pulled one back for the home side and they had a great chance to level when they were awarded a penalty, but Anston keeper Jon Parker made a great save to deny them. Colley did level soon after though through Neil Whitworth and the points looked to be going Colley's way when Tony Hodge put them ahead.

It was Anston's turn to level this time when Joe Bellamy pounced, but they were behind again when Kim Johnson hit Colley's fourth. Anston didn't give in though and Simon Turner increased his influence on the game by setting up Adam Russell for Anston's fourth and it was Turner again that set up Russell for Anston's winner.




League Tables | Fresh Co-op Milk Cup | County FA Cups | Results | Fixtures

Awards | News | Clubs | History | Sponsors | Management

Email : sssl